Thursday 31 October 2013

ESCALATING DEATH THREAT IN SOUTH ARMAGH



UVF death threat for  MP Conor Murphy


Sinn Fein MP Conor Murphy received the telephone threat at his Newry constituency


MP Conor Murphy received a telephone death threat at his Newry constituency. Conor Murphy who represents Newry and Armagh said he will not be intimidated after receiving a death threat.He received the telephone threat at his Newry constituency office on Tuesday. The caller claimed to represent the UVF. He told Mr Murphy he would be shot in his home.The senior politician reported the incident to the PSNI, saying"Considering the antics of the UVF in Belfast of several months now we took the threat seriously."



Willie Frazer gets ‘most serious threat’


Willie Frazer
Willie Frazer

“recent intelligence-led death threat against me from republicans more seriously than any other one before”.

The 53-year-old rabble rouser was told about the threat on Wednesday after he returned from the Shankill commemoration. He said: “I get telephone call threats all the time, but this one is being treated differently.This is serious. The police were around the house all Wednesday night, Thursday night, Friday night and last night.They are close by babysitting me during the day as well, and if I see anything suspicious, as I do all the time, I have to call them immediately. They are not taking any chances.”

The Orangeman from Markethill, who has cancer and may kick the bucket anyway, said the police would not tell him where the threat came from other than “usual sources”.which could very well be anybody in South Armagh. UUP MLA for Newry and Armagh, Danny Kennedy, said that after talking to the PSNI he “believed it was a threat from republican elements,”saying, "I am strongly concerned for his welfare and have spoken to him about this.” .

Orangeman Frazer is awaiting trial for criminal offences related to Fleg protests said, “She didn’t like it and of course it annoys her, but it shows that what I am doing is hitting a nerve. I don’t know what sparked it off this time. It could be related to my Shankill bomb antics or it could be related to something completely different. People need to realise that the ones who need to move on here are not the innocent Catholics and Protestant, it is the republicans. They are the people who cannot move on.The only thing that concerns me is that I am not allowed to be told what direction this threat is coming from, whether it is republicans in south Armagh or republicans in Belfast. But they are not putting me off. I went to Cullyhanna at the weekend and into Crossmaglen to let them know I don’t give two stuffs.Over the last 40 years I have got many threats, but I have never seen the level of police that I have in the last few days. I appreciate that police are doing that, but I don’t want to see any of them injured either.”


COMMENTS

No comments: